Sunday, August 25, 2013

Movies and Meaning

I have been watching classic 80's flicks this week: The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, specifically. Less than a month ago, I re-watched one of my favorite films The Hours. A common theme I'm seeing is making connections with other people and with the world in great or small ways that ultimately impact your life in a meaningful way. In some cases, these seemingly small encounters lead to vast changes in your life.


Part of the tragedy of suffering from Bipolar Disorder II, or depression in general, is the difficulty connecting with others, with life, with God (in whatever form you choose to believe). Difficulty is too feeble a word. I long to connect (that's a fancy word for really, really want - thanks Fancy Nancy). Too often, I find myself too lethargic, timid, angry, to reach out. Then, when I do, I say inappropriate, superficial things that further distance me from others. Alternatively, I assume others cannot or do not want to connect with me. Or that, even if they do, they will not be able to because who could understand someone like me?

I barely understand myself. Yet, I am the authoritative source of facts regarding my existence.

Next up on my watch list: Mallrats, Clerks, Sliding Doors, Ghost WorldSilver Linings Playbook. Perhaps in re-watching these films, I'll find the answers I'm looking for.

What do you think is the core message professed in these movies, if there is one at all?

How do you effectively communicate and connect with others?

No comments:

Post a Comment