Monday, August 5, 2013

Creativity and Responsibility


Aging is a process of gaining and losing.

Creativity has become
Second-in-command.
She defers to Reason and Responsibility.
Sometimes I let her come out to play. I see her
Peeking around corners
Eyes twinkling
Fingers pointing
Head beckoning me to follow.

My little artist and her creative partner in crime. 

These moments that once came so frequently and
At all hours of the day and night
Now visit me in the dead of night
In dreams
Or the moment my head touches my pillow.
Reason and responsibility insist that I count myself
Logically to sleep.
"Do not deter from your mission."
They insist.

"Be at peace. You need your sleep.
We do not know what time baby girl will wake up or
What crises may occur for which you will be
The foundation they
All cling to."

My doctor told me today that I am the heart of my home.
Not in a proverbial way but in
Truth; in practice; in "real life."
My mood, my actions set the tone
My family will follow.
I pray that I will be a good influence on my family.
That I will guide them well and
Teach them to be true.

Which truth do I teach? 

Creativity, or
Responsibility. 

I could aspire to teach them balance, but I have
So little. 

I am silent when I should speak. 
I speak when I should remain silent. 

Perhaps I'll teach them to be human. 
To leave a unique mark upon the world
No matter how great or small. 

We are infinitely insignificant as a species;
Insignificantly infinite as individuals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment