Saturday, August 3, 2013

Kindreds


I used to wrap my wrists in ribbons -
Cream-colored lace with brocade patterns of
Cerulean blue fleur-de-lis and 
English ivy. 

My eyes, I outlined with bleu kohl and
Grass green shadow
My dress was vintage white meaning
Well-loved. 

My black lace-up boots were hidden by
My hem. 

I was not fashionable. 

It's hard to be unique and different.
This is cliche and seemingly pompous 
It doesn't make it any less true. 

I painted my nails black and 
Wore my father's flannel. 
I hid my face behind 
Cascades of auburn hair. 

On my 16th birthday, I received 
Two precious gifts:
A neon pleated maxi dress made of heavy linen 
Circa 1965
And a pair of braided hemp platform shoes
I'd been coveting. 

My girlfriend gave these things to me. 
We kissed only once, but it was enough. 
She knew me better than I knew myself. 
She dressed me like her doll -

I was a poor reflection in my eyes alone. 

And when she came to me crying on my couch
I knew that we were kindreds. 

What I didn't know then that I know now is that
A kindred does not last
Forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment