Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Resurrection

The recent tragedies in my family have created a wall
Erected internally from the depths of feelings
 direct descendants of their ancient predecessors,
 originally constructed to protect me from the agony of betrayal: 

those who betrayed me

those I have betrayed

These walls protect me for a time against the perceived threat.
When the threat no longer threatens, 
And there is only me
Like the ever forward movement of t i m e
My walls succumb to the force of Nature.

Some would say these walls are unnecessary
They do more harm than good. 

I disagree. 

The only harm comes when the walls cannot be breached -

The betrayals; the tragedies are real enough.
My soul can only take so much.

The tragedies; the betrayals are real enough.
For all of us...old souls and kindred spirits.

As the walls of my citadel crumble 
Inevitably
by the elements of Nature
I do not merely emerge "like a butterfly,"

In fact, I
Struggle to disentangle my newly formed body
Explore my new shape and abilities
Push through the crumbling walls that encased me
With my new found strength.

I do not immediately begin to rebuild.
I wait. I observe.

Observe using all my available faculties.

Observe. Wait.

Open my eyes; set off on a new course,
One that befits the change in my psyche -
My new life path.

The walls stay with me metaphysically.
A blueprint for my future travails.
My mind knows there will be future tragedies;
Future betrayals.

I will be prepared for the inevitable.

I will do all I can.

I will enter my sanctuary confident that I will rise again-
As the butterflies do.
As the phoenix does.
As Jesus did.
As Buddha,
As Ghandi.

All good things come to an end
So do their counterparts.

This knowledge, this faith, is strangely comforting.

I will one day emerge
Stripped of betrayals and tragedies
Stripped of metaphysical walls
And I will flow confidently
Into eternity.

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful and amazing blog. You're quite talented my friend!

    ReplyDelete