Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Homestead Goddess

Here are my top 3 go-to resources that satisfy my desire to be an earth-loving, frugal homestead goddess.

Please note: I do not work for nor am I not paid by any of the organizations below. I rely on and am confident in the validity of the information they provide, which is why I want to share them with you.

Environmental Working Group - I use nearly all the EWG Consumer Guides to make more informed decisions about what I buy. They've researched everything from sunscreen to fruit, meat to cleaning products, and water to cosmetics.

  • SkinDeep(R) Cosmetics Database is the most user-friendly in my opinion because you can just search for the products you use or would like to use by name and the products is ranked on a scale of 0-10, zero being the least hazardous to your health and 10 being the most hazardous. 
  • The pesticide in produce guide and the sunscreen guide are also offered as apps, so they're pretty user-friendly, too.


Freecycle - What's cooler than finding a treasure for dirt cheap at a garage sale? Getting it for FREE! There are tons of Freecycle groups across the nation. You can join the one in your area to help reuse/repurpose items that other people no longer need or want. I've been a member of the Austin Freecycle Network for several years now, and I've seen offers for everything from fabric scraps to patio furniture, mattresses to maternity clothes, and doors to dryers. You can ask for stuff, too. I've seen requests from teen moms, nursing home caregivers, college students, teachers, and more.

The Library - Yes, I said it. I LOVE the library. Maya loves to read. She especially loves to read books over and over and over again. She consumes books like you consume air. And mommy eventually tires of reading these books. I appreciate having a due date, and Maya's happy because she gets to choose new books. We've also attended a puppet show at the Library, we use the educational computers every time we visit, and we've picked up free resources and materials to take home for arts and crafts projects.

I have plenty more resources, but these are by far my favorite. I hope you get some use out of them, too.

With love,
dawn marie

No comments:

Post a Comment