Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Mother's Memories to Her Child: My Mother

My mother's full maiden name
Joyce Marie Colson

When and where she was born
May 23, 1947
St. Petersburg, Florida

My mother grew up in
St. Petersburg, Florida

My mother's best story about growing up
Playing bongos on the roof with her cousin Butch.

Sinking a canoe with her cousins.

Her brother throwing a frog with a firecracker in its mouth at her, and it exploded all over her. She fears frogs to this day.

Whipping a boy with her daddy's bullwhip when he tried to beat up her little brother.

Dancing the Jitterbug with her baby brother.

All the boys in high school hanging out with her and asking her details about the girls they liked (because she was a tomboy). She always wondered why they didn't ask her out since she was the one they talked to.

Taking care of her grandmother when she was ill and came to live with them. My mom's mom was too depressed to deal with her mother dying, so my mom had to grow up pretty quickly.

Her daddy.

A favorite memory of my mother
When she would show me her dolls she played up with as she grew up. She has them still - all wrapped up snugly in a Rubbermaid tub. Her mother and her grandmother gave her those dolls. They looked so funny to me as a child because they were so different from my dolls.

Singing "Que Sera" in the living room.

Comforting me when I had bad dreams.

Craft projects. We did tie dye, etching, gluing, painting...the works!

I always think of my mother whenever
I hear the song "Que Sera."

I have a bad dream. Only God and my momma make me feel safe.

I see my grey hairs.

From my mother, I learned
God made you the way you are. You are beautiful and intelligent, so don't worry what others think of you. Be yourself.

Be honest. Be kind. Be fair.

Don't judge others. Don't hold any prejudice. Don't be racist. Love everyone even if they don't agree with you.

Get your education. It is the best gift you can give yourself and no one can take it from you. Learn your whole life through. Read voraciously.

My mother's greatest gift to me
Accepting me for who I am no matter what.

My mother taught me that God
Loves you  no matter what.
Is perfect.
Loves you like a parent loves her child.

My favorite recipe of my mother's 
Her dirty rice she learned from her mother. She serves it at every major Catholic holiday. I finally learned how to make it when I got married, but it never comes out like hers. I'll have to keep trying!

Her Christmas breakfast casserole. It's a Jimmy Dean recipe she got off a package of breakfast sausage many years ago. It is delish!

Nachos. Chips, cheese, and pepperoni heated up in the microwave. Yes, I know. Very healthy. ;-)

Frozen fruit salad. Strawberries, whipped cream, and cream cheese blended and frozen. Nuff said.

Sweet potato souffle. Borrowed this recipe from my Aunt and never looked back.

Thinking about all this food excites me for Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment