Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The End is Nigh

36 weeks pregnant

I can see the inside of my belly button
(It's always been an innie).
I have stretched my stretchy pants so far
The inseams are ripping.
I can no longer wear them in public.

I sleep 9 hours with only a few interruptions.
Within two hours of waking, I need a nap.
My dreams are so real. I can still recall them with details
At nine o'clock the next evening.

In my dreams, I do all the things I shouldn't do in my daily life:
I eat, I gamble, I drink
Vodka, rum, cucumber mojitos
Yum.
I drive like a race car driver. I give people the bird.
I laugh like a maniac as I scream out curse words.

When I wake up, there they all are -
My child, my fetus, and their father
Two furry children
A mountain of dirty dishes and clothes
A calendar that reminds me of all my To Do's
And apps that bring me the news.

My hips give a little shake, though, trust me, I'm not dancing.
My bladder announces her immediate needs for all the household to hear.
My back asks why I didn't sleep more comfortably.

Life goes on around me as it always does -
Whether someone lives or dies
A mind or body in misery
Or filled with insane joy -
Life remains indifferent.

Is it any wonder I can't wait to go back to sleep?

---

I am counting down:
4 more weeks, then
3 more months, then,
I can be me again....
Possibly,
Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment